Transforming Spaces… Teacher Work Room to MakerSpace 2.0

We have been very fortunate at Hall Fletcher to have a MakerSpace classroom and an administration that supports making for the past 2 years!  Most teachers would be ecstatic to have an entire classroom set aside as a MakerSpace.  Over the years though, I couldn’t help but think that the entire classroom wasn’t what was best for our students or teachers. So, I came up with this crazy idea…

  • Move the MakerSpace upstairs to the center of the library (teacher workroom) so the center of the school and library could be a buzzing hub of students creating, making, and building.
  • Turn the Speech Room into an office for the Media Specialist, Tech Contact, and myself which would be directly connected to the MakerSpace room and would allow us to be located in one spot.
  • Change the guided reading book room into a recording studio.

I acknowledged that this crazy idea would mean:

  • finding a new spot for the teacher workroom
  • moving EVERYTHING from the MakerSpace upstairs into a new location
  • downsizing our space
  • finding a new location for the book room
  • finding a new office space or classroom for the Speech Room
  • painting all of the cabinets

Despite all of the hard work that this move would entail, I knew deep down that this was the best decision for our school, staff, and students. And thankfully my wonderful Admin team agreed!

So, I got to work.

I started with cleaning EVERYTHING in the room. Cabinets, floors, inside of cabinets, walls.  I didn’t let anything go untouched. Luckily for me, an awesome 2nd grade teacher, Katie Cannington, walked into the room while I was cleaning and offered to help with the cleaning and painting. (I don’t think she knew what she was getting herself into!) But, I was so grateful to have another set of hands!

After the cleaning, we took off all handles and started putting primer on all of the cabinets, shelves, and doors. We decided if we were spending the time to do this we wanted to do it right.

The next day we started our coats of paint. And man, do I mean coats of paint! Each color (orange, blue, and green) took 3 coats! Which ended up taking about 3 days! This took way longer than we would have liked, but in the end it was worth it! There were plenty of times along the way we questioned if this was going to work, if our colors looked too Nickelodeon 90ish, and if the kids were going to like it.  But, we just kept going.

IMG_8839

Once the cabinets were completed, we moved over to the chalkboard doors, hanging the whiteboards under the windows, and painting polycrylic on the counters.  This part of the project didn’t take as long but it did seem to pull the whole room together!

Now that the cabinets, doors, whiteboards, and everything was moved back into the room that only leaves the Lego Wall! My hope was to have the Lego Wall completed before Meet the Teacher/ Open House but it doesn’t look like that is going to happen. So, after a quick brainstorm with our Media Specialist we decided to hang some green paper over the area and have a green screen station set up for the beginning of the year! Pretty stoked about the Plan B!

Now, to wait and see what the kiddos think! I’ll post a new blog (including pictures) once we get some students into the MakerSpace 2.0!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: